We saw the strikes happen last night and woke up this morning to various social media reactions -- everything across the spectrum of:
- This is what Obama should have done when he called the "red line" and Trump is a hero of deterrence / justice / good
- We are entering World War III
- This is a distraction in order to do $POLICY
So: time for a quick flash poll. Keep it brief as comment sections are no place to actually convince anyone to change their minds:
- What do you think is Trump's (and perhaps Mattiss's) true agenda in the airstrike?
- What do you think they plan to do next?
- What do you think are the likely military consequences?
- How does this compare to, say, the 1986 bombing in Libya?
Why Are We Doing This?
In part to have a record of people's immediate reactions, to see how it compares to general consensus weeks and months after the fact.
In part we are framing the questions specifically to pull people a little past their immediate emotional reactions.