You might be worried that in the US and Western Europe, there are some pretty scary folks that are getting pretty popular. Those folks--who appeal to our fears and hatred to get power--are called demagogues.
We've seen them throughout history, from the very first Democracy--Athens--up through today. Xander and Erik give a brief history of demagogues throughout history to show that we've seen this story before... and then we have a good conversation about what to do when we see demagoguery creeping in.
- The Peloponnesian War
- "Demagogue" Wikipedia Page
- Joshua Greene's Moral Tribes
- Thucidydes's The History of the Peloponnesian War
- Great Courses lecture series: the Peloponnesian War
- Foreign Affairs, Jan/Feb 16. "Brazil's Antipoverty Breakthrough - The Surprising Success of Bolsa Familia"
- Jonathan Haidt's The Righteous Mind
- We totally thought of using Cleon before we read this, but the Washington Post thinks that a bit of history on the old Greek is apt for this year's election.
- Dan Carlin's Hardcore History 6-part series "Death Throes of the Republic"
- ReConsider on Patreon